In the composition of eye drops is 2.5 or 5 mg timolol maleate + excipients (sodium phosphate 2-water monosubstituted, sodium hydroxide, benzalkonium chloride, disubstituted 12-aqueous sodium phosphate, water).
The drug is released in 5 ml bottles, in a cardboard bundle 1 bottle with a dropper dispenser. The contents of the vials - a solution without color and odor, transparent. Oftan Timolol is produced in two dosages, 2.5 or 5 ml of the active substance in 1 ml of the drug.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
The active component of Otfan Timolol is Timolol L-isomeris issued in the form of maleate salts. The substance belongs to the group. non-selective beta adrenergic blockers. This isomer is similar to receptors. beta 1 and beta 2. Due to this, the drug is able to reduce intraocular pressure, by reducing the intensity of fluid production.
When applied topically, the drug penetrates directly into ciliary tissuewhere moisture production occurs. It’s not yet clear whether timolol on the blood vessels in the anterior segment of the eye, but with a decrease intraocular pressure there are improvements in the blood circulation of the retina.
The effect of taking the medicine lasts a very long time, up to a day. Sympathomimetic activity and membrane stabilizing effect the substance does not possess. The drug does not affect accommodation and pupil size, does not cause dependence (withdrawal syndrome does not occur).
The active substance is well soluble in fats, therefore, quickly gets into target tissues through blood vessels conjunctiva and the mucous membrane of the nose. 3-4 hours after administration, the maximum concentration and effect of the drug is achieved. The action of the drug lasts about a day.
The drug is excreted with streams of aqueous humor flowing from the eye. The half-life is 8 hours. The part of the substance that penetrates the systemic circulation (for example, through the stomach or vascular walls) undergoes a reaction metabolism in liver tissue, inactive metabolites are excreted through the kidneys. The plasma half-life is 4 hours, the degree of protein binding is 60%. The medicine can overcome blood-brain barrier.
Indications for use
Oftan Timolol is prescribed:
- for the treatment of various types glaucoma (open angle, glaucoma on the aphactic eyeother types secondary glaucoma);
- at angle-closure glaucoma(as part of complex therapy with myotics);
- with increased intraocular pressure;
- at congenital glaucomaif other therapeutic measures are not effective enough.
The medicine is not prescribed:
- at allergies on the components of the product;
- if the patient is identified heart failure;
- at bronchial asthma and other diseases of the respiratory tract;
- up to 18 years old;
- at sinus bradycardia;
- at atrioventricular block second or third degree.
Caution should be exercised:
- with other diseases of the lungs and heart;
- at diabetes;
- at thyrotoxicosis or hypoglycemia;
- myasthenia gravis;
- when combining the drug with other drugs of the same group (beta blockers).
The risk of adverse reactions depends on the degree of penetration of the drug into the blood plasma and the presence of chronic diseases in the patient.
The following local reactions were observed:
- discomfort and pain in the eyes, dryness, redness;
- a sensation that there is a foreign body in the eye, photophobia, corneal erosion eyes;
- hypotensiondecreased sensitivity of the cornea, keratopathy;
- conjunctivitis (including allergic), blepharoconjunctivitis, hyperemia;
- blurred vision, superficial spotted keratitis;
- choroid detachment, contact dermatitis of the eyelids, blepharoptosisretinal hemorrhage, diplopia, ptosis, keratitis.
- allergy, anaphylactic shock;
- dyspnea, respiratory arrest, cough, cyanosis, display, nasal congestion, bronchial asthma;
- bradycardiadecrease blood pressure, arrhythmiacongestive heart failure, cerebral infarctionpain in the sternum, collapse, stroke, ischemia cerebral vessels extrasystole;
- weakness, headache and fainting, a feeling of fear, asthenia;
- nausea, diarrhea, indigestion;
- hallucinations, depression, psychosis, insomnia and nightmares paresthesia, apathy;
- weight gain hyperglycemiahormonal imbalance;
- hivesskin rashes, baldness, stomatitis, allergic dermatitis, Lyell's syndrome, eczema.
Side effects associated with taking it are also rare. oral of forms timolol or other beta blockers(Raynaud's disease, purpuraincreased sweating, Peyronie's disease, arthralgia, noise in ears, ischemic colitisdifficulty urinating, etc.)
If adverse reactions occur, the drug should be stopped and consult a doctor.
Instructions for Oftan Timolol (method and dosage)
Take the medicine conjunctival.
As a rule, appoint 1 or 2 drops, 2 times a day. After improvement, the daily dosage can be reduced to 1 drop per day.
The course of treatment is prescribed by the attending physician.
With an overdose, symptoms characteristic of beta blockers: headachenausea bronchospasmvomiting arrhythmia, dizziness.
In case of accidental ingestion of the drug, the following may occur: shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, heart rhythm disturbance, general weakness.
In case of overdose, rinse eyes quickly with clean water or physical solutionproduce symptomatic therapy.
If the medicine gets inside:
- stop taking it;
- rinse the stomach;
- apply (depending on symptoms) dopamine, norepinephrine, glucagon, atropine or isoprenaline hydrochloride;
- if necessary, you can set artificial pacemaker;
- therapy digitalisdiuretics.
Due to co-administration of the drug with insulin or other antidiabetic drugs can develop hypoglycemia.
Combination with adrenaline may cause severe dilated pupils.
Simultaneous reception nicardipine, diltiazem and medications may increase intraocular pressure.
It is not recommended to combine Oftan Timolol with pilocarpine.
When combined with calcium antagonists, reserpine, cardiac glycosides, beta blockers strong decline is possible blood pressure, AV block and slow heart rate.
Timolol may enhance action muscle relaxants. The gap between the opening of the funds should be at least 48 hours.
Timolol is involved in the metabolism. enzymes P450, CYP2D6, therefore, it is not recommended to take other drugs in the metabolism of which the same enzymes participate (quinidine).
When combined with epinephrine can develop mydriasis.
Interval between doses clonidine and timolol must be at least two days.
Cimetidine able to enhance the therapeutic effect of the drug.
Terms of sale
Need a recipe.
It is recommended to store drops in a cool place, at a temperature of 15 to 30 degrees. Keep out of the reach of small children.
After opening the bottle, the drug can be used within a month.
The safety and effectiveness of the use of the drug in children has not been established.
When treating with a drug, a regular examination should be performed with ophthalmologistfollow up intraocular pressure, the state of the cornea, blood counts and lacrimation.
When discontinuing the drug in individuals with hyperthyroidism or thyrotoxicosis care must be taken to control the level glucosein blood.
After applying the medicine, in order to avoid its penetration into the systemic circulation, it is recommended to close your eyes and squeeze nasolacrimal canal finger for 120 seconds.
In patients with angle-closure glaucoma to achieve the desired therapeutic effect, the drug must be combined with various myotics.
The interval between taking various drugs should be at least 15 minutes.
When wearing contact lenses while taking the medicine they must be removed and put on no earlier than 15 minutes.
While taking the drug, it is not recommended to drive a car or perform operations that are highly accurate or require a high reaction rate.
AnalogsMatches for ATX Level 4 code:ArutimolCosoptBetaxololAzargaOftan TimogelTimololBetoptic
Azarga, Ganfort, Dorzotimol, Kombigan, Ksalak, Kuzimolol, Okamed, Timolol, Arutimol, Glaumol, Duotrav, Cosopt, Lanotan T, Oftimol, Arutimol,Oftan Timogel.
During pregnancy and lactation
The medicine is not recommended for use by pregnant and lactating women. Its reception in the early stages (before the second trimester) is unacceptable. Breastfeeding should be discontinued.
There are few reviews on Oftan Timolol. Of those available, mostly good ones. Some want to speed up the process of gradual decline. intraocular pressure by increasing the daily dosage. Adverse reactions with a dosing regimen are rare.
The cost of Oftan Timolol 0.5% drops is approximately 62 rubles per 5 ml.
- Online Pharmacies in Russia
- Online pharmacies in UkraineUkraine
- Online pharmacies in Kazakhstan
Eurofarm * 4% discount on the promotional code medside11
- Oftan timolol eye drops 0.5% 5 ml Santen OY70 rub.
- Oftan timolol liquid Oftan timolol eye drops 0.5% 5ml Finland, Santen 43 грн. Order
- Oftan Timolol 0.5% 5 ml eye drops.Santen (Finland) 860 tg.order