Each vial contains 0.5, 1.0 or 2 g Cefotaxime (according to INN Cefotaxime - Cefotaxime)
The drug is available only in the form of a powder intended for the preparation of a solution administered intramuscularly or intravenously. The powder may be white or yellowish. Glass bottles with a volume of 10 ml are available in packs of cardboard with the attached instructions from the manufacturer. Cefotaxime in tablets is not available.
Semisynthetic antibiotic. The active component belongs to cephalosporins of the third generation, used parenterally. The drug is active against gram-negative and gram-positive flora, resistant to the action of sulfonamides, aminoglycosides and Penicillin. The antimicrobial mechanism is based on the suppression of transpeptidase activity by blocking peptidoglycan.
Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics
After intramuscular injection, the maximum concentration is recorded after 30 minutes. 25-40% of the active substance binds to plasma proteins. The bactericidal effect lasts 12 hours. An effective concentration of the active substance is created in the gall bladder, bone tissue, myocardium, soft tissues.
The active component penetrates the placenta, is determined in peritoneal, pleural, synovial, pericardial and cerebrospinal fluids. Almost 90% of the drug is excreted in the urine (20-30% are active metabolites, 60-70% are the original form). With intramuscular administration, the half-life is 1-1.5 hours, with intravenous infusion - 1 hour. Cumulation is not observed. Partially active substance is excreted with bile.
Indications for use of cefotaxime
The medication is prescribed for infectious diseases.
Indications for use of cefotaxime with pathology of the respiratory system:
The drug is actively used for:
- bacterial meningitis;
- postoperative complications;
- Lyme disease;
- soft tissue and bone infections.
The cefotaxime antibiotic is prescribed for diseases of the throat, nose, ear, kidneys, urinary tract.
Cefotaxime injections are not prescribed for:
- individual hypersensitivity;
- history of enterocolitis.
In case of pathology of the hepatic system and kidneys, an additional examination by specialists is recommended with the conclusion that there are no contraindications to antibacterial therapy with cephalosporins.
- soreness with intramuscular injection;
- phlebitis with intravenous infusion.
Side effects from the digestive tract:
- pseudomembranous colitis;
- cholestatic jaundice;
- increased ALT, AST;
- diarrheal syndrome;
- hemolytic anemia;
- decrease in number platelet count;
Are possible allergic responses (Quincke's edemaan increase in the number of eosinophils, itchy skin), candidiasis, interstitial nephritis. When registering other negative reactions, the help of a doctor and self-medication withdrawal are required.
Instructions for use (Method and dosage)
Instructions for use cefotaxime in adults: every 4-12 hours intramuscularly or intravenously injected 1-2 grams. In pediatric practice, cefotaxime injections are also prescribed. Instructions for use for children weighing less than 50 kg: 50-180 mg / kg is administered 2-6 times a day. How many days to inject an antibiotic is determined by the attending doctor, taking into account the underlying disease, the general reaction of the body, and concomitant pathology. Tablets are not available.
How to dilute Cefotaxime for intravenous injection: 1 g of the powder is diluted in 4 ml of sterile water, inject slowly 3-5 minutes.
How to dilute Cefotaxime with Novocaine: 1 g of the powder is diluted in 4 ml of novocaine, injected slowly.
How to breed powder? The solvent may be sterile water, lidocaine and Novocaine. The last two substances are used for pain relief, as injections of cefotaxime are rather painful.
Large dosages in the short term can cause encephalopathy, dysbiosis and allergic responses. Timely treatment must necessarily include desensitizing medications.
Nephrotoxicity is enhanced by treatment with "loop" diuretics, aminoglycosides. NSAIDs and antiplatelet agents increase the risk of bleeding. Do not mix cefotaxime with other medicines with the same syringe (exception Novocaine, Lidocaine). Probenecid increases the concentration of the active substance, slows down its excretion.
Terms of sale
The antibiotic is sold at drugstores. Presentation of a prescription medical form is required. Recipe in Latin:
Rp. Sol. Cefotaximi 1.0 g (dose in grams)
D.t.d. N (quantity is indicated)
S. in / in (or in / m)
The manufacturer recommends observing the temperature regime - up to 25 degrees. Limit children's access to powder vials.
Therapy with nephrotoxic drugs requires mandatory monitoring of the performance of the renal system. In the treatment of more than 10 days, it is necessary to evaluate the change in peripheral blood. Elderly and debilitated patients for prevention hypocoagulation appointvitamin K. When diagnosing pseudomembranous colitis, treatment is stopped.
Analogs of cefotaximeMatches for ATX Level 4 code:CefosinLendacinMedaxonLopraxCeftriaxoneCefiximeLoraxonSulperazoneCefoperazoneRocephinZedexFortumCeftazidimeCefixCephoral SolutabPancefClaforanCefodoxSuprax Solutab
Cefotaxime analogues in tablets are not available.
Cefotaxime for children
The dosage of cefotaxime for children is calculated according to the scheme: 50-180 mg / kg / day. Cefotaxime for children is prescribed with caution. Newborns are not prescribed.
Cefotaxime and alcohol
Alcohol during antimicrobial treatment can trigger effects similar to those Disulfiram:
- the fall blood pressure;
- hyperemia of the skin of the face;
- migraine headache;
- cramps in the epigastrium;
In pregnancy (and lactation)
Contraindicated in the first trimester. At breastfeeding, in the II and III trimesters, an antibiotic can be used only in cases where the benefit to the mother outweighs the risk to the fetus. With lactation, a medication can change the oropharyngeal flora of a child. Embryotoxic and teratogenic effects of the drug in experimental animal studies have not been confirmed. Doctors do not recommend using an antibiotic for of pregnancy.
Reviews about cefotaxime
In pediatric practice, you can find the appointment of an antimicrobial medication for children in cases where other antibiotics did not give the expected result. Reviews of Cefotaxime confirm its high antimicrobial activity, but also contain an indication of a number of negative reactions that are often observed after treatment (dysbiosis, bloating, colic).
Cefotaxime price, where to buy
The price of cefotaxime injections depends on the region of sale. Ampoules-vials of 1 g can be purchased for 75 rubles (5 pcs). The price of Cefotaxim for 50 pieces is 750 rubles. Tablets are not for sale.
- Online Pharmacies in Russia
- Online pharmacies in UkraineUkraine
- Cefotaxime then. d / preparation. I / O and / m solution introduced 1g No. 40RUP Belmedpreparaty777 rub.order
- Cefotaxime then. d / prg. solution for in / in and / m introduction. fl. 1g №1 (ind.up.) Biochemist OJSC20 rub.order
- Cefotaxime then. d / prg. solution for in / in and / m introduction. fl. 1g №1PAO Krasfarma28 rub.order
- Cefotaxime then. d / prg. solution for in / in and / m introduction. 1000mg fl. №1Borisovsky plant of medical preparations OJSC29 rub.order
- Cefotaxime pore IV and IM 1g n50 Biochemist OAO 941 rub.order
- Cefotaxime (fl. 1 g / v / m ind. Unit.) 18 rub. Order
- Cefotaxime bottle 1g i / v / m26 rub.order
- Cefotaxime (fl. 1g iv / v / m ind. Unit.) 21 rub. Order
- Cefotaxime (fl. 1 g / m, iv) 19 rub.
Eurofarm * 4% discount on the promotional code medside11
- Cefotaxime powder d / in. 1 g №1 flPharmConcept LLC21 rub.order
- Cefotaxime-Darnitsa 1.0 g No. 5 powder PrAT "Pharmaceutical company" Darnitsya ", Ukraine68 UAH to order
- Cefotaxime 1 g No. 10 powder PAT "Kyivmedpreparat", Ukraine144 UAH order
- Cefotaxime-Darnitsa 1.0 g No. 1 powder PrAT "Pharmaceutical company" Darnitsya ", Ukraine15 UAH order
- Cefotaxim-BHFZ 1g PAT NEC "Borshchagіvsky Chemical and Pharmaceutical Plant", metro Kyiv, Ukraine13 UAH order
- Cefotaxime 1 g N5 injection for AT Lekhim-Kharkiv, Ukraine57 UAH order
- Cefotaxime bottle Cefotaxime powder for injection 1g (intravenously, intramuscularly) Ukraine, Kievmedpreparat OAO 141 UAH.order
- Cefotaxime then. d / in 1g №5 Ukraine, Lekhim-Kharkov 63 UAH
- CEFOTAXIM bottle of cefotaxime pore. d / in 1g Ukraine, Borshchagovsky HFZ PAO 14 UAH order